For older people, the risk of death or serious illness is very high while travelling to Haiti.
However, planning is important, so before travelling:
- See your doctor for a check-up and discuss your fitness for the trip you are planning.
- See your dentist and optometrist.
- Pack a spare pair of glasses, any medications you need and a small medical kit.
- Organise travel health care with pre-existing illness cover if needed. Make sure it covers emergency evacuation.
- Make sure routine immunisations are up to date and get vaccinated against influenza and pneumonia.
- Consider your back and joints – use luggage with built-in wheels.
- Take clothes and hats to suit the climate.
- If you are concerned about your health or the health of someone you are travelling with, consider taking an organised holiday.